October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
There were moments during my breast cancer journey when I questioned how much strength I had left.
At the time, I was caring for a newborn and five other children who were home for summer vacation. Life was already busy, and cancer certainly didn't put the demands of motherhood on hold. There were diapers to change, meals to prepare, laundry to fold, appointments to manage, and six children who still needed their mom.
I was still working, too.
Some days, I honestly don't know how I managed it all. I would go to treatments and doctor's appointments, then come home and jump right back into caring for my family. There wasn't much time to stop and think about what I was facing because there were so many people depending on me.
There were moments when I was exhausted, overwhelmed, and afraid. There were days when I cried in private because I didn't want my children to see how scared I was. There were nights when I lay awake wondering what the future would hold and praying for the strength to face another day.
But through it all, I leaned on my faith in God.
When I felt weak, He gave me strength. When I felt afraid, He gave me peace. When I couldn't see what the future would hold, I trusted that He was walking beside me every step of the way. My faith carried me through some of the darkest moments and reminded me that I was never facing the battle alone.
Looking back 20 years later, I've learned something important: we are often stronger than we realize. At the time, I didn't feel strong. I was simply doing what needed to be done each day. Through God's grace, the love of family and friends, and a determination to keep going, I found a strength I never knew I had.
Today, I am grateful for every challenge I overcame and every blessing that followed. I've watched my children grow up, get married, and have children of their own. I've experienced milestones and moments that once seemed uncertain, and each one is a reminder of God's faithfulness and the gift of another day.
If there's one lesson I've learned, it's this: when you think you've reached your limit, you may discover a strength you never knew existed. Sometimes you take the next step simply because you have no other choice. Then one day, you look back and realize just how far God has carried you.

No comments:
Post a Comment