Cancer changed my life in ways I never expected.
Before cancer, life often felt like a race from one responsibility to the next. There were meals to cook, laundry to fold, bills to pay, and lots of children to care for. Like so many parents, I was focused on getting through each day and checking items off my to do list.
Cancer forced me to slow down and look at life differently.
It taught me that I have no idea what burdens other people may be carrying. It taught me that compassion matters. It taught me that some of life's greatest blessings are found in the ordinary moments we so often take for granted.
Most importantly, it taught me that every day is a gift.
Since my diagnosis, I have watched my children grow up, get married, and build families of their own. I have become a grandmother. I have celebrated birthdays, holidays, and milestones that once seemed uncertain. I have enjoyed countless ordinary days that now feel extraordinary simply because I was here to experience them.
My journey was not easy. It tested me physically, emotionally, financially, and spiritually. But through every challenge, God remained faithful. He gave me strength when I felt weak, peace when I was afraid, and hope when I couldn't see what the future held.
Today, more than 20 years later, I remain grateful. Grateful for my family. Grateful for the doctors, nurses, and caregivers who cared for me. Grateful for the people who prayed for me, encouraged me, and walked beside me. And grateful for every day I've been given.
If there is one thing I hope others take away from my story, it is this: know your body, trust your instincts, and advocate for yourself. When I knew something wasn't right, I kept asking questions. That decision may have saved my life.
Early detection matters. Self exams matter. Mammograms matter.
And life is far too precious to take for granted.

No comments:
Post a Comment