People often ask whether cancer changes you.
The answer is yes.
It changes how you see life, what you value, and how deeply you appreciate each moment. Twenty years later, the lessons remain with me.
When I was diagnosed, I was pregnant, caring for five other children, working full-time, and trying to keep life moving forward. There were days when I didn't know how I would make it through the next hour, much less the next week. Yet through every challenge, my faith in God sustained me. When I felt afraid, I prayed. When I felt weak, I leaned on Him for strength. When I couldn't see the future, I trusted that He could.
Thirteen Ways Cancer Changed Everything
Exhaustion. Not ordinary tiredness, but a deep, constant fatigue that settles into your bones and does not lift.
Changes in Appearance. Hair loss. Pale skin. Catching my reflection and barely recognizing myself, along with comments from others that landed harder than they realized.
Surgeries and Recovery. Physical discomfort layered with emotional weight, and the ongoing weariness of medical procedures.
Emotional Whiplash. Sudden highs and lows with no warning, learning to hold on and keep going anyway.
Motherhood on Overdrive. Six children, including a newborn. Yes, I was pregnant when I was diagnosed.
Financial Strain. Medical bills arrive regardless of effort, determination, or circumstance.
Sudden Hormonal Changes. Early menopause brought hot flashes, sleepless nights, and challenges I wasn't prepared for.
Lingering Sensory Memories. Certain smells and experiences become etched into memory long after treatment ends.
Restless Nights. Vivid, horrific dreams that made rest difficult and mornings heavier.
Daily Responsibilities. Cooking, working, and caring for a family even on days when strength and appetite were limited.
No Pause Button. School mornings still came early. Cancer didn't excuse the bus schedule.
Unhelpful Comfort. Conversations meant to connect but instead carried fear or loss that was hard to hold.
A New Reality. Life altered in lasting ways, medically, emotionally, and on paper.
But cancer also gave me gifts I never expected.
Thirteen Gifts I Didn't Expect
A Deeper Gratitude for Life. Not casual appreciation, but intentional and fierce awareness.
Greater Patience. Still human, still imperfect, but more understanding than before.
Less Judgment. Because everyone is carrying something unseen.
Survivor Connection. A quiet bond with others who understand without explanation.
Finding Small Wins. Quick showers and simple routines that became unexpected blessings.
A Voice for Awareness. Speaking openly about self-exams and early detection because they truly matter.
Proven Strength. Not imagined, not theoretical, earned.
Clarity About People. Knowing who shows up, and who doesn't, brought painful honesty and unexpected peace.
Faith Renewed. Cancer deepened my relationship with God. Through the darkest moments, He gave me comfort, peace, hope, and the courage to keep moving forward. I learned to trust Him in ways I never had before.
My Youngest Child. A healthy, beautiful sixth blessing born during an unimaginable season.
A Story to Share. One shaped by hardship, faith, perseverance, and resilience.
Unexpected Joy. Even pink found its place.
Encouragement to Offer. Sitting with others and saying, sincerely, You're not alone. You're stronger than you think. And God is with you every step of the way.
Twenty years later, I would never have chosen cancer, but I am grateful for the lessons it taught me, the perspective it gave me, and the faith it strengthened. Every day is a gift. Every milestone is a blessing. And every year reminds me just how faithful God has been.
💗

No comments:
Post a Comment