Friday, July 31, 2026

The Unlikely Yarn of the Dragon Lady by Sharon Mondragón - A Review

This book came highly recommended by my mother and sister, and after reading it, I can understand why it touched them so deeply. In fact, they were so moved by the story that they started their own prayer shawl ministry. Knowing how much it impacted them made reading it even more meaningful for me.

Aura, known around town as the "Dragon Lady," isn't someone people easily warm up to at first. She has built walls around herself and keeps others at a distance. As her story unfolds, little by little, the reasons behind her behavior become clearer, and I found myself looking at her very differently.

The friendships that develop throughout the book felt genuine. The knitting group brings together people from different backgrounds who support one another through life's challenges, joys, losses, and new beginnings. The sense of community was one of the things I enjoyed most about the story.

There were several moments that tugged at my heart. The book reminds us that kindness matters, that people often carry burdens we cannot see, and that friendship can appear when we least expect it.

The pacing was a little slow in places, but the characters made up for it. By the end, I was glad I had spent time with them and could easily see why this story inspired my mother and sister to take action in their own community.

This is a touching story about friendship, compassion, healing, and finding purpose. I would happily recommend it to anyone who enjoys books centered on relationships and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment