Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Borax

Some of my favorite uses for Borax:

Borax as a Floor Cleaner
1. Fill a bucket with about 1 gallon of warm water.
2. Add about 1/3 cup Borax.
3. Add 1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing detergent.
4. Mix in about 1 tablespoon ammonia.

To remove urine stains and odors:
1. Dampen the soiled areas with water.
2. Sprinkle borax over the areas.
3. Rub the borax over the areas, working into mattress well.
4. Let dry.
5. Vacuum or brush off any remaining borax powder.

Make slime for the Kids:
1. In a glass or ceramic bowl, add 1/2 cup water and 1 cup white glue.
2. Stir in 4 drops food coloring if desired.
3. In another bowl, dissolve 1/2 teaspoon borax in 1/2 cup water.
4. Slowly add the dissolved borax mixture to the glue mixture. Stir well.
5. When not in use, store in a tightly sealed jar.

Aids in drying flowers:
1. Cut flowers you wish to preserve, with or without stem.
2. Sprinkle borax on the bottom of a small box such as a shoe box.
3. Add up to two flowers.
4. Completely cover with more borax.
5. Tape the box shut.
6. Let sit at room temperature for about one week.
7. When dried completely, strain off the borax powder; may be reused for more flower drying.


Kills Roaches:
1. Mix equal parts powdered sugar and borax in a bowl.
2. Sprinkle in cracks along walls and under cupboards.
3. Keep away from children and pets.
4. Repeat as necessary for one to two weeks until all roaches have died.

Kitty Litter:
Sprinkle it in with your kitty litter to mask the odor.

9 comments:

  1. I love Borax. I had no idea it had this many uses, though. Totally going to bookmark this! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Borax huh? That will come in useful when my son has an oops in his bed. This kid has a new mattress and has already oopsed in it! *urrgggh!

    Thanks Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can use it in your dishwasher. I've quit buying dishwashing detergent and I no longer have to add jet dry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to try this on a mattress. THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never bought Borax. All these uses, wow! I like Rachel's about the dishwasher too. Another thing to add to the grocery list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I did not know Borax could be used so many ways. Thanks for sharing and for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the slime recipe, the kids will really enjoy it too. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog!

    :)

    It's super-cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore Borax! Thanks for these great ideas! We have really hard water and I always put Borax in with the laundry to soften it up. Works like a charm. :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore each and every comment....