I wasn't always sure I liked Rue, but I understood her. She had worked too hard to get where she was to let anyone mess it up, and honestly, I probably would have reacted a lot of the same way she did.
More than once I wanted to tell her to just have an honest conversation and save herself a lot of trouble. Then she'd do or say something that reminded me why she was so guarded in the first place.
Eli had more patience than I would have. There were moments when I wondered why he kept trying. Then again, if he had walked away the first time things got difficult, there wouldn't have been much of a story.
What I remember most isn't a particular scene. It's the constant tug-of-war between wanting someone close and being terrified of giving them the power to hurt you. Rue seemed stuck in that place for a long time.
I also liked that she didn't suddenly forget she had a career the minute a man showed up. That gets old fast, and Ali Hazelwood didn't go that route here.
This wasn't my favorite book by her, but it may have had my favorite heroine. She frustrated me, made me roll my eyes a few times, and still had me hoping things would work out for her.
★★★★

No comments:
Post a Comment