This was my favorite Ali Hazelwood book so far. I enjoyed her earlier novels, but this one felt more natural and less dependent on the same character patterns that sometimes show up in her books.
Elsie was easy for me to understand. She's a people-pleaser who spends so much time becoming whatever others need that she loses sight of what she actually wants. Watching her slowly figure that out was what made the story work for me. Her struggles felt recognizable, even when the academic setting was far removed from everyday life.
I also liked that the romance wasn't driven entirely by misunderstandings. There was tension between Elsie and Jack, but it came from real issues, different perspectives, and professional complications rather than endless miscommunication.
The physics and academic politics were more interesting than I expected. I don't usually pick up a romance hoping to learn about university hiring practices, but the behind-the-scenes competition and frustrations added another layer to the story.
Elsie's growth felt as much like a story about finding her own voice as it did a romance.
★★★★½

No comments:
Post a Comment