Wednesday, August 26, 2026

The Guest List by Lucy Foley - A Review

I picked this up because the idea of a wedding on a remote island already sounded like a disaster waiting to happen. The longer I read, the more convinced I became that nobody there was having a good weekend.

One thing I enjoyed was that my opinion of the characters kept changing. Someone would seem sympathetic for a while, and then I'd learn something that made me look at them differently. By the end, there wasn't a single person I completely trusted.

The island itself would have been enough to make me uncomfortable. Add a storm, a wedding, old grudges, hurt feelings, and too many secrets, and it felt like the whole thing was headed toward a collision nobody could stop.

The beginning took me a little while to get into because there were so many characters to keep straight. More than once I had to stop and remind myself who somebody was. Once all the connections started coming together, though, I became much more interested in what had happened and why.

What kept me reading wasn't the question of who died. It was wanting to know what everyone was hiding. Every character seemed to be carrying around something they hoped nobody else would discover.

When I finished, I kept thinking about how differently people can remember the same events and how long resentment can sit beneath the surface before finally coming out. This wasn't a book I forgot as soon as I closed it. I still think about it a few years later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment