I never became as interested in the murder as I was in Alicia herself.
There's something unsettling about a character who refuses to explain herself when everyone expects her to. The more people talked about Alicia, the more I wanted to hear from her instead.
Theo's role in the story pulled me in right away. I found myself paying close attention to him, even in small moments that didn't seem important at the time. Looking back, those were some of my favorite parts of the book.
What kept this at four stars for me was the distance I felt from the characters. I was interested in them, but I wasn't emotionally attached to them.
By the end, I found myself thinking back through earlier chapters and seeing certain scenes differently than I had the first time.
For me, the strongest part of the book wasn't what happened. It was watching how information was shared, withheld, and interpreted by different people.
★★★★

No comments:
Post a Comment