Sunday, January 8, 2012

Challenge: Greatly Reducing the Food Budget


Photo from Nourished Kitchen

Our family has started off this new year of 2012 with some financial challenges, thus impacting our food budget severely. It just so happens to be when meat prices seem to have increase by 50%!  I have thus been on a mission this week to find creative ways to feed our family of 7/8 on a tight, tight budget. I say mission because these meals have to be easy enough to throw together throughout the week for this working mom of six. (sigh)


Some of the ways I hope to greatly reduce my food budget immediately are:
1.  I will again employ a weekly menu to help reduce overbuying of extras at the grocery store. 
2.  We will have one meatless meal every week.
3.  We will have a sandwich and soup meal one night each week.
4.  We will have a breakfast for dinner meal one night each week.
5.  We will incorporate more beans into our menus.


I don't know....I am still working on this.  


I am using my Pinterest to "pin" some meals I am hoping will help us out in this crunch time. I shall post some of them here as I am able along with the links to some terrific blogs I have found through Pinterest and Foodgawker.


I hope you look forward to these upcoming posts!  There are some good ones coming with some terrific links.


How do you stretch your food budget?


Photobucket
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Working mom of many here too & working on a budget for us. So glad to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crock pot chili---chopped onion, garlic, canned chili ready beans, canned chili ready diced tomatos,canned corn, browned ground beef, vegi-meat, or chopped up leftover burgers. Fill up crock pot, turn it on, let it cook. Don't forget to turn on the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fake homemade chicken soup--shredded chicken (or fake vegi chicken) chopped onion, lots of garlic, cut up carrots and celery, pepper, 1/2 cup perled barley, 1 can condensed chicken noodle soup, 3 cups water. Simmer 20 min or so, guess you could put this in the crock pot also. Can also add peas or corn. Just dump the whole can in water and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Send me some chocolate chip pancakes---meatless and breakfast all in one swoop. Darn, I want some now. Instead making tuna salad on fresh spinich with sun dried tomatos and slivered almonds and raisens.

    ReplyDelete

I adore each and every comment....