Saturday, May 14, 2011

Calm My Anxious Heart

Title:  Calm My Anxious Heart


Author: Linda Dillow


Publisher: Navpress Publishing Group


Publication Date: October 1998


Publisher’s Synopsis:  Women worry a lot. We worry about our children, our friends, our careers, our families, our spouses-the list could go on and on. Yes, we want to be content and trust God with our worries, but it's a struggle to let go and free ourselves from the burden of anxiety. If you're tired of worrying about all the "what-ifs" in your life and want to experience the calm and contentment promised in Scripture, Calm My Anxious Heart is what you've been looking for. Filled with encouragement and practical help for overcoming anxiety, this book includes a twelve-week Bible study to help you discover what the Bible says about contentment and ways to apply it to your daily life. A companion journal is also available to record your thoughts as you listen to God's teaching on this subject. With Calm My Anxious Heart you can let go of your anxiety and experience the contentment that comes from trusting God.
My Thoughts:  Fantastic, Absolute MUST READ!  Get it, read it, live it. I love this book.  This review opportunity came to me just when I needed it. I have a digital copy of this book but I just may need to purchase a hard copy! I love how the author uses scripture consistently throughout the book and uses real life stories that are so easy for me to associate with.


Some of my favorite highlights from the book:

  • Philippians 4:11-13 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
  • Linda Dillow mentions her favorite translation of Philippians 4:13 is from the late Greek scholar Kenneth Wuest:  I am strong for all things in the One who constantly infuses strength in me.
  • The five Nevers from Ella. “Ella possessed a soul sufficiency, a peace separate from her circumstances.” 
  • Philippians 4:11-13 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
  • Dillow breaks apart Psalms 139 showing us how we must be content in being ourselves because He made us how we are in His expertise, God did not make a mistake when he created my personality, physical characteristics, and my gifts and abilities.  He made a perfect piece of art when He created me. How can I not be content?  God made my purpose and my talents.  She encourages us to ask God each day how we can glorify Him in our given role.

My current life role is a cancer surviving, working mom of five and step-mom to one. (I certainly have MANY more roles than those listed.)  Sometimes I get high and mighty and feel sorry for myself and how busy I am or the fact that I never can seem to get a moment to myself. I put myself down for not spending enough time with my children, not keeping my house clean enough or losing my temper.  God designed me for this exact role I am living, I need to (and will) embrace it and praise God for the opportunity to serve Him in the exact way He knew I could when He created me.  I think I “got it” Ms. Dillow, and I am only on page 47!!!  I will trust that His portion for me is best and I will indeed be content. I will live with all my might.


To Do:  Make a Gratitude Notebook, Make an Anxiety box, Complete the Twelve Week Bible Study for Calm My Anxious Heart that was supplied at the end of this wonderful book.


This was my first read by this author but definitely will not be my last!


Disclaimer:  I received a copy of this book free of charge in exchange for my honest opinion.



Photobucket
Pin It

1 comment:

I adore each and every comment....