Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Reluctant Entertainer: Book Review


Author: Sandy Coughlin

Publisher: Bethany House (August 1, 2010)


Publisher's Synopsis: Real Entertaining for Real People
True hospitality is not about being perfect, cooking a fancy meal, or spending a lot of money. Rather, it's about an open door and an open heart. Rather, it's about an open door and an open heart. Popular blogger Sandy Coughlin offers a simple but savvy approach to help women break free of the anxieties that keep them from opening their homes. Emphasizing the forgotten goal of entertaining--connecting deeply with others--she shows how women can use the gifts and talents God gave them to reach out in love.

My Thoughts:
This beautiful, elegant book was absolutely not what I expected. I expected a Martha Stewarty how to book about entertaining.  What I read was a very delightful and entertaining book about the lifestyle of entertaining. 

Let me tell you a little about myself. I was married to a minister for seventeen years.  I entertained in my home very often (usually more than once a week).  I considered myself very good at it.  It came easy for me.  But that was another lifetime ago.  I now have six children and work outside of the home.  I remarried and we now live in StephenKingsVille, Texas.  We have lived here for two years now and we have not even had the time to meet any friends here.

Reading Sandy Coughlin’s book, The Reluctant Entertainer, brought back to mind the joy I once experienced through “entertaining” in my home.  I truly enjoyed it. Now I have the desire to try to get back that part of my life I now realize I miss!

Sandy gives hints, tips and recipes to make the actual entertaining aspect of life easier.  But this beautiful book is so much more than that.  Honestly it is not worth trying to find words to describe the book, you just really need to get your hands on a copy of it and READ IT!  This is a high-quality book, with beautiful photos and graphics, and many recipes that any women would love to make, with every day ingredients and simple instructions.

I have reviewed many books but this book I thoroughly and completely enjoyed.  And I will not be giving away the copy that was provided to me because I have underlined many parts of it and dog-eared a ton of pages.  This will be a re-read for me too.

I felt the strong urge to email Sandy Coughlin when I was only on page 42.  I did too, that was a first for me.  I have since subscribed to her blog and have plans to subscribe to her friends’ blogs as well.  This is an absolute: MUST READ
 Photobucket
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I think I'll put it on my to-read list. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

I adore each and every comment....