Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mildew Spots on the Bathroom Ceiling

Our master bath has no air conditioning, heating of exhaust vent and my hubs just loves those hot, steamy showers which create little mildew spots on the ceiling that just completely drive me INSANE! Yes, INSANE. (I know I am a bit odd.) I usually spray a bleach cleaner on the ceiling while straddling the toilet and edge of the bathtub, risking the inevitable fall, then absolutely without fail I have an asthma attack and find I have completely ruined my clothes will those falling drops of bleach. Grr.

I have even considered buying a paint roller and dipping it in bleach and rolling it on the ceiling tiles once a month. I think before long my ceiling will be peeling, flaking and FALLING IN if I go that route. Which led me to my latest internet search...

"Do It Yourself" shared this tip, which I am so gonna try!

Mildew


Keep ahead of mildew so it doesn't become a problem. Every six months spray your bathroom ceiling with a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. Peroxide is a safe bleach and won't harm the environment or your lungs. Find larger quantities of peroxide at beauty or medical supply stores.


Spray the mixture on and leave it. No need to rinse or scrub. If you currently have mildew, follow the above directions. Wait two hours and respray. Then wait 24 hours and spray a third time if necessary


Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/bathrooms#ixzz0oJem7XuP


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Try some white Kilz paint. I have never had a problem with mildew after using that on the ceilings. You have to watch rolling/cutting in the sides that match the ceiling to the wall because the paint can be very thin!

    ReplyDelete

I adore each and every comment....