Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Gift of Exhortation


Has anyone ever just said something that made you feel good, like you have a purpose and give you more of a desire to do better, try harder, be a better person? My entry yesterday, "The Art of a Compliment" really led me down a thought process. Flashing back to my "pastor's wife days" I remember the teachings of Spiritual Gifts very well. I am thinking particularly about the gift of Exhortation. Those who use this special gift seem to have a knack for saying just the right thing to encourage others to live better/be better.

Let me give you a simple definition of the gift of Exhortation: The ability to help others reach their full potential by means of encouraging, challenging, comforting, and guiding. The divine enablement to present truth so as to strengthen or urge to action those who are discouraged or wavering in their faith.

People with this gift:
- aide the weak in spirit to strengthen them
- challenge or confront others to trust and hope in the promises of God
- urge others to action by applying Biblical truth
- motivates others to grow.


In my opinion this gift is an extra special one. (I am not very good at this gift, in case you were wondering.) I had a very good friend growing up who let this gift flow through him. I always admired him greatly for it. To have the ability/knack/gift to say just the right thing to lead others to think, really think about what is truly important. WOW!

What is your gift and how do you use it? If you would like to find out more about Spiritual Gifts here are a few sites that have a very simple (not very thorough though) test you can take on-line to determine what your gift is. I cannot vouch 100% for each of these as I have not taken the test at all three of these.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore each and every comment....