Wednesday, October 8, 2008

WFMW

I have five kids all of the time (between 2 - 15) and six when my step-daughter is with us...so the less time cooking in the kitchen...the more supervision available (a good thing).

When cooking ground beef I always cook three large family packs at a time, I add an entire bag of celery (chopped), and 3 onions (chopped) and green peppers (I usually use chopped frozen, cheaper and last forever). I all the beef and veggies to my big ole pot and fill about half way up with water (very important addition, I might add). The water keeps the meat from clumping, cooks it faster and also keeps it from scorching at the bottom. I drain it when it is done then add garlic, salt and pepper then cool until it's manageable. Then I bag it up in quart size freezer zipper bags. I usually mix up two dinners worth with barbecue sauce and frozen peas for a super, duper quick Shepherd's Pie. Other bags can be used for chili, spaghetti, baked ziti, sloppy joes, Mexican casseroles, Grandma's Casserole, tacos, taco salad, enchiladas, only to name a few!

To check out other great tips click on the logo above!

post signature

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. That is exceedingly smart. I'm going to copy your idea. Thanks! Your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your site, your kids are so cute! Thanks for the tip, what a great way to make that expensive beef last!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Very smart, I must say!

    Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea! I never thought about cooking it that way.

    How do you cook a large amount of chicken? I just bought two 6 lb packages of chicken tenders that I want to cut up in chunks and cook all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, I'm on the right track, but you've taught me more. . .so much more! Definitely going to try it your way. Your blog is cute, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done this a few times and really love it! Great time saver!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great tips - I didn't know that cooking it in water would keep it from clumping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great tip and a great way to use my peppers and onions from my garden! Thanks for posting that!!

    And thanks for visiting my blog today. I hope you come back soon:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that idea! How clever. I am all about saving time in the kitchen. I love to cook, I just don't like the time involved in doing it. Thanks for sharing your tip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never added water to my ground meat. Huh. Gonna try that because I have 4 kids myself so I know that sometimes when we are cooking we get DISTRACTED. I bet when you drain it off, you drain off a whole lot o' fat too.

    By the way, I almost never buy ground beef anymore - I always buy turkey. Much healthier and cheaper and we are a spice loving family - sounds like you are too - so since most of the meat gets turned into tacos or chili etc, I have never once had anyone notice that it was not beef.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are frozen green peppers really cheaper than fresh? I never even gave it a thought. I will have to check this out b/c it would be quicker to open the bag instead of slice and dice!

    ReplyDelete

I adore each and every comment....